Monday, June 6, 2016

Funday Monday - An End, A Beginning, A Crisis, and Bagels

************
Today is my final day at the bank where I have been a temporary staff for the past month. I am so grateful for my time at the bank and for how welcoming the bank's staff have been. Both the financial benefits and the social benefits from this job have been a blessing in disguise in the midst of my unemployment.

To celebrate my departure, I bought bagels and brought them in for everyone to share! Now I just need to figure out how to tell people I brought bagels for them without having an email address to send the message. I'll keep you posted with updates as this post gets written.
****
This weekend provided the first of many "summer" weekends when my partner and I left our Midwest city to find the closest thing we could find to a beach by an ocean. Since we're in the Midwest, large bodies of water are hard to come by. Luckily, we did manage to find a lake beach with sand and sun and spent a few hours lounging and swimming. It was the perfect start to summer and I cannot wait to pack up our beach bag and head back out there every few weekends or so. Ahhh...the beach bag.

So in preparing for our trip, I went to Target planning on buying a bathing suit and some sun screen. When I left, I discovered I had accidentally bought a new bag for the beach, sun screen (two types), a new bathing suit, snacks for the road, new sunglasses, and an array of kitchen appliances. Ugh, Target. How dare you? I spent way more money than I planned on spending and when I checked out, could not get a gift card to work! I cannot afford to spend excess money and yet I did anyway! I'm about to not have any income coming in, again, and yet I still spent excess money! I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I am in myself, but instead of trying to do that - I'm going to ignore what I did and instead we can talk about the fun that I will have tomorrow!
****
Tomorrow is my 25th birthday. I will have been on this world for a quarter century tomorrow evening and I am certainly not where I thought I might be when I turned 25. Let's reflect.

(Brief pause - someone just came and grabbed a bagel. Word is spreading.)

I graduated college 3 years ago, completely unaware of the struggles that would follow. I anticipated that I would spend a year abroad and find all my answers while I was abroad and be able to come home and get started on my perfectly planned out future. By 25 I would be in love, in the career I wanted, or in school trying to learn more and be better at the career I wanted. And here comes 25 and I am no closer to knowing what I want to do or how to get there and I'm not even in a career to pass the time and make the money while I figure it out. Talk about your quarter life crisis! Maybe that explains that trip to Target....

But let's forget all of that - this is a blog about funemployment! It's time for the fun!!
****
Tomorrow is my birthday. I do not have to go to work in the morning, which means I get to sleep in as long as the cat will let me sleep. I also scheduled an appointment with my aunt for a hair cut and some fun summer color. As part of our house-sitting agreement, she gives me free cuts and colors so luckily this is not a part of the quarter life crisis. Although I guess we'll see how short my hair gets or how drastic the color....to be determined.

I also have a meeting at a local children's theater. I've interned there in the past, but this time around am going to be hired to work in their box office for a few nights this month. I'm excited for the tiny income it brings me as well as the excuse for me to spend more time in the theater. I can never shake my love for theater, so this will be an incredibly fun job for me regardless of what I am getting paid. For my birthday, I get to start working in the theater again, however briefly. I cannot wait :)

In addition to the pampering and work meeting, I get to celebrate with my family! We have a family dinner and dessert night out planned as well as board games at home. I'm lame, I know, but to me gathering the family around a game and spending quality time with each other is the perfect gift. That being said - I know I'll be getting some presents, so I'm totally looking forward to that part as well.

So that's the fun of tomorrow! Tomorrow is one day and look at all the fun that will be present! Ahhh, presents!! I can't wait!!
****
Ok, I'm getting annoyed at people not eating my bagels so I'm going to head out and do the rounds and make sure people know that they are here and that I want people to eat them. That and I should really make sure my supervisor has work for me to do today - I feel bad when my being here seems to be a waste of time.

Alright, I'm off. Happy Fun Day everyone!!!
************

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, concerns? Wanna put my privilege in its place? Commiserate? I'd love to hear it all here!